Over the preceding year I’ve tried numerous protein powders. Some were good and some not so. My post workout shake has changed a bit over that same time, though the differing formulas were mostly due to the lack of ingredients.
This past week I started taking the Mutant Whey protein powder. As I like to mix to get my 2 scoops in the shake, I ordered Triple Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream from Vitacost. One scoop of each goes into the shake. While I’ve heard all manner of claims to the taste of this protein powder or that, I was surprised with the Mutant brand in that although it contains BCAAs and glutamine, it does have a good taste. It also mixes well and combines with other ingredients to form a smooth, frothy shake.
The New Recipe
It is a bit early to fully tell, but Mutant may become my new protein brand. After two days, I can already tell a difference. I’ve also purchased some unflavored creatine powder so that 5 grams may be added to the mix. Time to add everything together into something grand.
The ingredients list:
- 2 cups of 2% milk
- some ice cubes (usually 5-7)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 scoop of Triple Chocolate Mutant Whey
- 1 scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream Mutant Whey
- 1 round teaspoon of Six Star Nutrition unflavored Creatine
- 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt with active cultures
- 1 tablespoon of Chia/Flax mix
- 1/8 cup almonds
- 1/8 cup walnuts
Place everything in a blender and mix until desired consistency. Tends to mix to a bit over 1 liter in volume. Depending on how much fruit and nuts you add, the calories will be around 1,000.